Bigdata is often misunderstood and thought to be very large data, however it is just one aspect of bigdata. The term Bigdata refers to data, which is too complex for traditional approaches to handle. The bigdata have following characteristics.
- Volume – Large amount of the data.
- Velocity – Rapid generation of the data.
- Variability – Inconsistency of the data.
- Veracity – Quality of the data.
- Variety – Various forms of the data
I would also like to point out that rich data having multiple views or representation should also be considered as a characteristic of BigData. The next step for you would be to have a look at wikipedia article about BigData and explore more information.